Sister As Maid Of Honor??

I have two 14 year old sisters. One is my half sister which I have lived with since she was born. The other is a step sister whom I`ve known for 3 years (the half sister is my mom`s side and the step sister is my dad`s side. They`re friends with no relation.). I am close with both girls yet have decided that I wouldn`t ask either of them to be my maid of honor because 1) I don`t want hurt feelings between them and 2) I feel they`re too young for that role. Would they be able to throw my bachelorette party at 15?! My mom is pushing me to ask my half sister. Can any of you out there offer any advice as to how I can explain how I feel and have them respect it?? It is much appreciated!!
~Amy
Posted by Amy; updated 08/05/02

I also agree with you. I think they are too young to be your maid of honor. When my firiend was married ,her sister was 14 so she asked me to stand up for her. Then explain to your sister all that goes along with being a maid of honor. This is your wedding. Although you don`t want to offend anyone, I truly think you shoud do what you want to do. But I do understand your mother`s point. I am married 35 years and also have children married. But I think the bottom line here is, it really is up to you. Lots of luck. I hope it all works out.
Posted by terry; updated 08/06/02

When my older daughter married, her sister was 12 years old. So my daughter had one of her girlfriends as her maid of honor. Yes her maid of honor hosted the Bachelorette Party(complete with male entertainment) but it was held in my home at her request and so I had some responsibility for the event.

A couple years later my daughter told me that the only thing she would have changed about her wedding was that her sister should of been her Maid of Honor. Sisters are there for life - girlfriends may not be.
Posted by Leanna; updated 09/24/02

14 is young to do all the work themselves but you can also have one of your bestfriends to help them. Some people have 3 or 4 maid of honors. I think your sisters would be hurt if you did not ask them...I know i was when my (half) sister asked her friend....
Posted by tracy; updated 12/19/03

I think 14 is too young to be maid of honor, but why not ask them both to be bridesmaids? This way they are both included in the wedding party and neither would be offended.
Posted by Sarah; updated 12/19/03

Anyone can plan and host your bachelorette party, so don`t let that be a reason to not have your sister as your moh.

Also there is such a thing as asking someone to stand up at your wedding simply because you love them and you want to honor them. She can be your moh without performing all the duties that you seem to require of a maid of honor. What she can`t do, your bridesmaids and your mother can take over. Ask her to be your maid of honor because she`s your sister and because you love her. Forget the duties.
Posted by Linda; updated 12/19/03

Your Maid of Honor is not just who you are closest to, it is also a huge responsibility, for people who take weddings seriously. The Maid of Honor is in charge of putting together the bridal shower and bachelorette party. Can she realistically do this at her age? This person is also to make sure the Bride remains stress free on the wedding day and she also handles any and all last minute emergencies/mishaps. This person is the contact at the reception should any vendors have any issues. Vendors should not go to the Bride/Groom or to their parents. This responsibility is given to the witnesses so that the other key players can enjoy the day. Is she old enough, mature enough, responsible enough, and wise enough to deal with these issues (DJ/band, caterer, rented hall, toilet overflowing because a child shoved too much TP down the toilet)? There is a lot to consider in being a bridesmaid. Anyone not willing to do all of these things need to say no when asked. It is their jobs to make sure the Bride/Groom completely enjoy the day and never know there was any sort of problem.

And ultimately, it is your wedding, not your mom’s. It ticks me off when people forget this. Family should not make this is a negative experience for the wedding couple by causing stress. Telling them who to have in their wedding, who to hire for the band/DJ, what colors to have, where to get married and what day, anything in anyway shape or form, is just plain wrong. And I don’t care who is paying. They say, “I am paying for YOUR wedding.” Well, the operative word is YOUR. If the truth were told, they should be saying, “I want all control so I am paying for it.” Once I give a gift of money, it’s up to you what you do with it. It is no longer my money. GRRRRR…
Posted by Dawn; updated 12/21/03

Hey,

I`m getting married in Jan. 2005, and I have two sisters. One is 15 and the other is 19. I have been having a lot of trouble deciding who should be the maid of honor and if I should even have one. I have a friend that I was best friends in college (she threw me a beautiful baby shower 1 year and a half ago). She is also supposed to be my sons godmother but 3 or 4 months or more will go by and I won`t hear from her at all. She only lives 2 hours away and she hasn`t seen our apartment we`ve been in for over a year. I know her feelings will be hurt if I don`t ask her to be my maid of honor, but I think it will strain our relationship further and stress me out during all the wdding planning. I have gotten really close to one of my coworkers, we have worked together for three years and she just got married last summer. She has already been dress shopping with me and has offered to help me in any way i need it. I thought it would be best to ask my sister to be the maid of honor, and my coworker friend to be my matron of honor. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Posted by Keryn; updated 01/07/04

Hello and Congratz Keryn,
You need to follow what your heart is saying to you on this one..:) It sounds like your co-worker has become more than just a co-worker to you.. The way you posted about your co-worker is that you both have become friends. I cant tell you what to do, but this is what I would do from what you posted. I would ask your friend that you work with be your Matron of Honor. Than ask your sisters be brides maids. Then your other friend also to be a brides maid.
I hope this helps,
Ang
Posted by Ang; updated 01/07/04

I`m getting married June 2004 and have asked my sister (currently 13) to be my maid of honor. She will be just over 14 by the time of the wedding. My cousin and good friend from high school will be the other two bridesmaids. Both know that they will have to help her out with the duties and they are willing to do this for me. Sure my sister is young but she is my sister and I want her right by my side when I get married. I want her to know that she is an important part of my life. The duties really don`t matter.
Posted by Marie; updated 01/09/04

Ang,
Thanks for the advice, I asked my friend from work (Jill) to be my matron of honor today while we were dress shopping and she was so touched, and moved. We both stood there and cried, as I tried not to let my tears drip onto the wedding gown. I`ve decided to ask my 20 year old sister to be the maid of honor, this way they can share the responsibilities. Thanks again.
Keryn
Posted by Keryn; updated 01/11/04

Hello Keyrn,
I am glad I could help with some advice..:) Did you find your dress? If you need some pictures or help with flower ideas, ect please feel free to let me know at angwillard@yahoo.com
Congratz again and have a great day,
Ang
Posted by Ang; updated 01/11/04

I was 17 when I was the maid of honor for my sister`s wedding (she`s 9 years older than me). I didn`t have the responsibilities of throwing her a bridal shower or other things, but I helped out even with the little things like making sure all the kids at the wedding were being cared for, making sure some props go somewhere else. But the main thing was that I was so happy that I could be a big part of the wedding. If I wasn`t the maid of honor I wouldn`t have been in so many pictures :). It`s usually mostly the parents with bride and groom or bridesmaids and ushers with bride and groom, etc. My sister however also had a matron of honor (someone that is married that is like the maid of honor) and she took care of the bridal shower responsibilities.

I hope that helps~ if you have any questions, feel free to email me
Posted by Diana; updated 02/09/04

I would not have them as maid of honor, that comes with a lot of responsiblity what I am doing since my FI has a daughter that is 8 is that she is my first brides maid, she gets to help making plans for the wedding shower and she will walk down right before the maid of honor and I am going to put her in a little teara so she feels special
Posted by jill; updated 02/09/04

Why not ask them to be your Maids of Honor and ask an older, married friend to be your Matron of Honor. Or, you could ask them to be bridesmaids instead. I agree they may be too young to carry the responsibility. I have a Maid of Honor and a Matron of Honor. My Matron of Honor will be signing the marriage certificate and the Maid of Honor will stand first in line and deliver the first toast after the Best Man (which we also have two of).
Posted by Kristin; updated 02/09/04